Friday, April 2, 2010

Keeping, keeping at It.

In spite of the optimistic email that I sent to all of the crew yesterday (April 1st,2010) declaring that all of the work had been done, there is actually a long way to go.

The U bolt photo at left is a good example. I've two new ones but do not want to go to the top of the mast until the shrouds are back on. The mounting brackets for the spreaders are back on the mast and the tangs for the running backs and lower diagonals as well. (Four or five hours up the mast yesterday in 30 knot winds. (No April fool.) But I could not pull the cables up to get the pins in. Working on it.

I ended up removing the turnbuckles completely to put more slack in the wires. (I hope you are as fascinated as I am by these minutiae.) And I think I'll take them to Moo to see if the somewhat corroded threads can be cleaned up so they will be easier to use. (Not a given since left-handed metric threads are involved.) Actually, I think I'll do it myself. All it takes is time.

Up the mast again this morning with Ron Dodini, a friend from KYC, handling the safety line and hauling tools up and down on the spare jib halyard (an hour or two in 25 knots and rain) and I got the lower diagonals in finally. (Weather sucks.) There was a solid black wall of wind and rain coming across the bay so I bailed out. The running backs can wait until tomorrow.

Another thing I'm going to do tomorrow is replace the VHF antenna on the top of the mast. Hope that helps the performance. I hooked the antenna up directly to the radio for a test, and learned something interesting. It did not seem to be working even though the tester was giving it high marks. Then by accident I discovered that the performance depends very sensitively on the antenna orientation. Very, very sensitive to the direction it is aimed. (If you want to know if a "high gain' antenna is better (or not) contact me.)

It is sort of hard to see but Ric recently replaced 2nd anchor (lunch hook) with a new anchor, new 30 ft chain and 200 ft of brand new nylon rode.
this arrangement is a little better than the race requirements call for. The primary anchor at 48 lb and with 200 ft of chain is way better than required.

The next item is the Spray Curtain just inside the hatch that protects the electronics from the  spray generated by the "rooster tail"  thrown up by the boat as the downwind speed exceeds normal limits. The bolt rope on the top edge was getting ratty so it has been replaced. It needs to be cleaned.

Each crew member gets a shelf for their personal gear. That is mainly stuff like clothes, books, video games, exercise DVDs, handheld GPS (In case Navigator get's lost.), etc. There is some space for toilet gear in the head and foul weather gear goes into the hanging locker behind the head. Some people try to sneak in their own private supply of chocolate or other goodies but this is officially frowned upon.

Some more PFD testing took place. There are 5 on the boat that are up to date and would pass inspection. One is mine and Ric is using one (that Tina could use if she wants to), the other three are spares. Other crew could use them if they do not have their own. I kind of like to have my own. There are spare parts for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment